Introducing the all-new ecobee residential web portal and mobile app
byon September 25, 2014
Alongside our launch of the ecobee3 smarter wi-fi thermostat, we are releasing a brand new residential web portal and mobile app (for iOS and Android). The new mobile app is available to all ecobee customers. The new web portal is available to those customers purchasing a new ecobee3 or Smart Si thermostat today and to all other customers in the future.
The new Home IQ™ will be made available in stages, starting with diagnostic trending (coming soon), and additional features being released over the rest of Q4 2014.
What’s new in the ecobee residential mobile app?
The ecobee residential mobile app has been completely redesigned with a focus on user experience, and rebuilt with all-new functionality. The app layout matches the home screen of the ecobee3 smarter wi-fi thermostat, making it easy to understand and use. This is not an update to the current ecobee residential mobile app; it is a brand new app. If you would like to continue to use the legacy residential mobile app, you can do so, but we will not be updating the app moving forward.
In addition to the already-great remote monitoring and control capabilities of the original ecobee residential mobile app, the new mobile app can be used to:
- Create an account and register your thermostat
- Create and edit your schedule and create comfort settings
- Setup your preferences for alerts and reminders
- View more detailed information about your thermostat(s) including name, serial number, and firmware version
- Use the “Quick Changes” menu to quickly set your thermostat to Home or Away
Using the new ecobee residential mobile app
What’s new in the ecobee residential web portal?
Just as with the new ecobee residential mobile app, the ecobee residential web portal has been completely rethought with a new interface that focuses on user experience, ease of use, and a much more intuitive organization of features.
The new web portal introduces a new user interface similar to the ecobee3 thermostat and the new ecobee residential mobile app, making it easy to understand and use. In addition, the web portal is designed to be responsive and feels right at home on your tablet.
The new and improved Home IQ™ not only looks better, but will include:
- An “overview” section with information such as runtime report, neighbourhood comparison, and home efficiency
- Personalized recommendations based on your home’s unique setup and energy profile
- Easy access to Smart features available to you, and the ability to enable/disable them from within Home IQ™
- Runtime performance report with savings breakdown in dollar terms
- Insight into which features (scheduling, smart features, etc.) contribute most to your savings, and how much savings each feature is responsible for
- Improved metric for efficiency rating (similar to star-rating in the original residential web portal)
- A system monitor with runtime diagnostics and detailed charts with easy to understand visualizations
Current customers who have Smart Plugs, Smart Meters, or multiple accounts (such as residential, commercial, and contractor accounts), cannot upgrade to the new web portal. This is to prevent the loss of any data or functionality they are taking advantage of today. We are working on a transition plan for these users to ensure they’re able to take advantage of all the great new features of the updated ecobee residential web portal.
Please review our guide on upgrading to the new web portal before proceeding with the upgrade.